Charles Angerer, Representative from the second district of Monroe county, was born in the township of La Salle, Monroe county, Michigan, September 26, 1843. His early life was spent on a farm with his parents and his only education was that obtained in a German Lutheran school in Raisinville, about five miles west of Monroe. He left home in 1865, and for several years traveled through various States of the Union, stopping at Cleveland, Ohio, St. Louis, Missouri, New Orleans, Louisiana, Houston, Texas, Adrian and Hudson, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio, learning the trade of carpenter, bridge builder and architect. While at Houston, Texas, he learned the trade of bridge building of A. B. Brown, and in 1869 entered the employ of the Smith Bridge Company, of Toledo, as their superintending foreman, in which capacity he resided at Monroe City from 1869 to 1875, engaged in the building of railroad and highway bridges. April 1, 1869, he married Mary, daughter of Conrad and Elizabeth (Zeh) Reinhard, who has a promising family of four boys and three girls: Charles F., born January 31, 1870; Mary, born May 26, 1872; Herrman, born December 4, 1874; Rosa, born May 12, 1877; Elizabeth, born January 9, 1880; John William, born November 22, 1882; and Henry, born December 31, 1885. In 1875 he removed from Monroe City and settled in Exeter township, on section twnety-eight of town five south, of range eight east, clearing off a farm and engaging in the manufacture of lumber and Charcoal and opening a general store in the village of Scofield.
Mr. Angerer cast his first vote in 1868, and has ever since voted with and been an active Republican. He was elected justice of the peace in 1884 and again in 1888. His popularity is shown by his election to the House of Representatives of 1889-90, to which he was elected in a strong Democratic district by a vote of 1,937 to 1,869 for his opponent on the Democratic ticket.
Mr. Angerer has from his youth up been a member of the Lutheran church, in which for many years he has been one of the board of trustees. September 4, 1889, he was initiated in Monroe Lodge, No. 27, Free and Accepted Masons.
Source: History of Monroe County, Michigan; Talcott, E. Wing, Editor, New York; Munsell & Company, Publishers; 1890; page 355.